White Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese
Creamy white cheddar macaroni and cheese! Sharp white cheddar and gruyere cheese add tang and richness to this comfort-food favorite.
- 2 lbs penne pasta
- 12 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 5 1/2 cups milk or whole milk
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 cayenne pepper (depending on how much heat you prefer)
- 4 1/2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Cook pasta 3-4 minutes less that the package instructions indicate.
In a large saucepan or skillet, melt 6 Tablespoons of butter over medium heat. When butter is melted, add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add flour, and cook an additional minute. Slowly pour in milk into flour-butter mixture while whisking. Continue cooking, whisking constantly until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
Remove the saucepan or skillet from heat. Stir in salt, mustard, pepper, cayenne, 3 cups of cheddar and 1 1/2 cups of gruyere cheese. Set cheese sauce aside.
Transfer the cooked pasted to a colander, rinse under cold water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into cheese sauce.
Pour the mixture into a large greased, skillet or casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups of white cheddar and 1/2 cup of gruyere cheese on top.
In a small bowl, melt 3 Tablespoon of butter in microwave, then add Panko breadcrumbs and stir until butter covers breadcrumbs. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top of macaroni.
Bake until brown on top, about 30 minutes.