Sausage and Pumpkin Chili
Delicious Spicy Pumpkin Sausage Chili! An easy chili recipe with a spicy flavor and creamy texture of pumpkin. Perfect warm and cozy recipe for Fall!
- 1 - 6 inch sweet pumpkin (or other hard squash), peeled and cubed
- 1 pound ground sweet Italian sausage
- 1 pound ground hot Italian sausage
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 3 Serrano peppers, diced
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Chili spice mix (3 Tablespoons chili powder, 2 Tablespoons cumin, 1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper, 1 Tablespoon garlic powder, 3 teaspoons onion powder, 3 teaspoons Kosher salt, 3 teaspoons black pepper)
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 6 cans assorted beans, drained and rinsed (we used black, white and pinto beans)
- Sour cream for garnish
In a large pot or Dutch oven heat enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Heat to medium heat.
Add onions and cook until translucent and tender. Add the sausage to the onions and brown. Once the meat has browned, add the chili spices and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomato paste and stir to combine.
Add the pumpkin and peppers to the pot, then the diced tomatoes and the chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
Once the stock has heated through, add the beans to the pot. Simmer for 45-60 minutes. Enjoy with a dollop of sour cream.