Zesty Shrimp Cocktail
Surprise your tastebuds with this zesty shrimp cocktail! A classic shrimp cocktail with tomatoes, jalapenos and onion. Great appetizer for entertaining and so easy!
- 12 ounces cooked medium-size shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb tomatoes*
- 2 jalapeños, diced*
- 1 small red onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
- 1 Tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons honey wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Tabasco
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 3 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 small avocado, flesh scooped from the skin and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups canned fire-roasted diced tomatoes, well drained, can be used instead of fresh tomatoes and jalapeños*
Preheat pellet grill to high smoke.
Smoke the tomatoes on a rimmed baking sheet until soft, blackened and blistered. Remove and let cool.
Turn the smoker to 400 degrees F.
On another baking sheet, drizzle the onion and garlic with the oil and toss to combine. Roast, stirring a few times until richly brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from pellet grill and set aside.
When the tomatoes are cool, pull off their blackened skins. Place tomatoes into food processor and pulse several times to chop them into small pieces. Scrape into a large bowl. Without washing the food processor, place onion and garlic in processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add onion and garlic to tomatoes and stir in the vinegar, brown sugar, hot sauce and lemon juice. Taste and season highly with salt, usually about 1 1/2 teaspoons.
Add the shrimp, avocado, jalapenos and cilantro to the sauce and stir to combine.