Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
Green chile enchiladas made with tender chicken, tasty green sauce, cheese, and cream cheese, gets baked in the pellet grill until bubbly and golden brown! This is a recipe the whole family will love!
- For the Filling:
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs, boneless, skinless cut into bite sized pieces
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 ears of corn on the cob, kernels removed from cob
- 1 - 14.5 oz can pinto beans
- 2 - 4.5 oz can green chilies
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Salt to taste
- 10 flour tortillas, raw
- For the Sauce:
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 - 4.5 oz can green chilies
- 3 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
Add olive oil to a large cast iron skillet. Heat to medium high heat. Add chicken. Season with salt, chili powder, cumin and garlic. Cook until halfway done. Add onion, corn and beans. Cook mixture until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Turn heat down to low and add green chilies and cream cheese. Mix until cream cheese has melted. Set aside.
In a medium cast iron skillet, melt butter over medium high heat. Whisk in flour to form a paste and cook for about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the chicken broth, and bring to a gentle boil, whisking occasionally. When the sauce has thickened slightly, stir in heavy cream, green chilies, chili powder, garlic powder and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
Preheat pellet grill to 375 degrees F.
Pour enough sauce to cover the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Divided the filling mixture between the 10 tortilla shells. Sprinkle cheese on top of filling and roll burrito style, placing them seam side down in baking dish.
Pour remaining sauce over the filled enchiladas, and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
Bake for 30 minutes uncovered, or until hot and bubbly and the cheese is beginning to brown.