Asian Lettuce Wraps with Peanut Sauce
This easy chicken lettuce wrap recipe tosses ground chicken, carrots and green onions in a homemade Asian inspired sauce. Perfect as an appetizer or quick and healthy dinner any night of the week! Topped with a smooth, garlicky and gingery peanut sauce. That has a good spicy sesame kick!
- For the Lettuce Wraps:
- 2 pounds ground chicken or turkey
- 2 heads of butter lettuce
- 2-3 Tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded or finely diced
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 Tablespoons Asian chile sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup peanut sauce (optional)
- 2 cups cashews, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- For the Peanut Sauce:
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup sweet chili garlic sauce
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 3 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 5 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon spicy chili paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 cup water
For the Peanut Sauce (optional):
Place all ingredients in food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Add more water if needed for desired consistency. Set aside.
For the Lettuce Wraps:
In a medium mixing bowl, combine hoisin sauce, garlic, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ginger, Asian chile sauce, sesame oil and peanut sauce (optional). Mix until combined. Set aside.
Rinse lettuce and pat dry. Pull leaves off lettuce, being careful not to tear. Set aside.
Heat Flat Top Grill over medium heat.
Add cooking oil to the grill, when heated, add onions. After cooking onions for about 2-3 minutes, add ground chicken. Break apart and mix with onions. Cook chicken until you no longer see any pink.
Add the sauce to the chicken and onion mixture. Incorporate into chicken until chicken is coated well. Cook until chicken is browned and sauce begins to caramelize.
Add cashews and green onions and stir into meat mixture. Cook for about 1-2 minutes.
Pile meat mixture into center of lettuce leave and drizzle with peanut sauce.