Thanksgiving Dirty Rice
Dirty Rice with a Thanksgiving twist! A delectable combination of sausage, sage, rosemary, thyme, parsley, celery and onions, mixed with rice and lentils. A perfect side to your Thanksgiving feast!
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup Andouille sausage, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 2 teaspoons parsley, chopped and divided (1 teaspoon for garnish)
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 1 cup rice
- 3/4 cup brown lentils
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Walnuts or almonds, toasted and chopped
In a large Dutch oven or deep skillet, slowly cook onions and celery on low to medium heat until most of the moisture has cooked off, about 2o minutes.
Add the sausage and render out the fat.
Add garlic and fresh herbs (except 1 teaspoon parsley for garnish) and cook until fragrant.
Add lentils and cook coating with sausage fat, then add the chicken stock and cook lentils until softened, about 15 minutes.
Add rice and bring to a boil. Season with salt and cover reducing heat to a simmer. Cook until rice is soft, about 16-18 minutes.
Remove from heat, fluff rice and serve with toasted nuts and parsley.