You may notice that on your Apex grill and Gen 3 controllers that there is now a Fan Only mode located on your controller and app interface. Fan Only mode is used for cold smoking within your pellet grill. If you haven't tried it out - it's a great little feature to have in your tool belt.
WHAT CAN I COLD SMOKE?
- Different cuts of pork such as bacon and country ham
HOW DO I COLD SMOKE ON MY GRILL?
To cold smoke on your Camp Chef pellet grill you will need some additional supplies other than your grill. The first being a Smoke Tube and hardwood pellets. Next, you'll need to manually light the pellets. Then select Fan Only on your controller or app and set a designated fan speed (0-5.)
If you're a newbie, then cheese is a great first choice. It's generally low-risk and has a ton of different flavors to expand upon. We recommend more mild/fruiter flavors for cold smoking cheese. Follow the directions below for a first timer's guide to using a smoke tube on the Apex Fan Only mode.
1. Remove drip tray (if the Apex.)
2. Fill smoke tube up to 1-2 inches from the brim of smoke tube with pellets
3. Use lighter or blow torch to light the pellets in the smoke tube. This can take up to 5 minutes
4. Turn on the controller and choose Fan only from the main menu.
5. Set fan speed of 5.
6. Set smoke tube on grates. Allow fire to grow for 10 minutes.
7. Blow out fire on smoke tube, this will cause the smoke tube to smolder through the rest of the pellets.
8. Leave the smoke tube on the grates and add your food.