- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 3 leeks, white & light green parts only
- 1 sugar pumpkin (2 pounds) peeled, seeded, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 ear of corn (or 1 can)
- 3 cans (14.5 ounce) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- ½ cup sour cream (optional)
Roast the peppers: preheat oven to broil. Place the red peppers & jalapeños on a baking sheet and cook under the broiler, turning occasionally until the skins blacken –-about 10 minutes. Seal the charred peppers in a Ziploc bag for 10-12 minutes. Stem, seed & cut peppers into ½ inch squares. Set aside.
Make the soup: heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook until browned. Remove the chicken and keep warm. Add the leeks and pumpkin and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the flour, cumin, chili powder, salt & pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the corn, peppers, chicken, chicken broth and oregano, and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 30 minutes.
Garnish with sour cream if desired.