I don’t know why this is, but I think I am one of the only people who cannot grow zucchini! It is embarrassing. My yellow striped squash plant is nearly 4 times the size of my poor little zucchini plant. Alas, I am sure I will be able to get a hold of some. Maybe when mine finally grow, everyone else’s will be gone. A girl can dream can’t she?
I found this recipe on my friends Pintrest board. It looked good and a little more healthy than my beloved french fries. I figured the yellow squash could be a good stand in. But then I ran into another problem.
The original recipe called for Shake and Bake. I did not have any, nor a plan to buy that. Too many “fillers”. So I found a recipe for some. To make matters worse, I couldn’t find breadcrumbs, so I toasted my bread to make some. Totally didn’t work . BOO! Then the pantry angels delivered some Panko. Hallelujah! (It pays to look twice.)
Are you wondering yet, if they were good? I ate them all. Yup. A WHOLE garden squash covered in delicious crunchiness. Should you make this? Oh, yeah. And if you want to share, my door is always open!
- 3 zucchini (1 lb.) (or other summer squash)
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 packet Shake & Bake Coating Mix (or 1/4 of the recipe below)
- 1 small egg
- Heat oven to 450ºF.
- Trim the zucchini -cut crosswise in half, then cut each piece into 1/4-inch sticks.
- Add cheese to coating mix on a large plate or cookie sheet; stir gently to combine.
- Whisk egg in medium bowl. Add zucchini; toss to coat.
- Place wet zucchini on plate and press to coat. (It will look like it will come off. Be gentle. It will bake up just great!)
- Spread onto your cast iron pan sprayed with cooking spray (or newly seasoned as mine was). Repeat with remaining zucchini.
- Bake for 12 to 13 min. or until golden brown, turning pan 180 degrees after 7 min to facilitate even baking. Meanwhile, mix remaining ingredients.
Shake & Bake (the homemade version)
- 4 cups dry bread crumbs or Panko
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon minced onion
- 1 pinch dried basil leaves
- 1 pinch dried parsley
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- In a large resealable plastic bag combine the crumbs, oil, salt, paprika, celery salt, pepper, garlic salt, minced garlic, minced onion, basil, parsley and oregano.
- Seal bag and shake all ingredients together.