I have been trying a few new recipes. This one made me a bit nervous as it did not look too kid friendly, but my kids ate it! I was surprised. This is like a thicker version of taco soup. Originally, it is supposed to be eaten with the cornbread, but we ate it with Doritos. Needless to say, we had full bellies and orange fingers!
For this one, you will need 2 skillets. Or a skillet and a pie plate. This is a great Tex-Mex meal, that will stick to your ribs, but go easy on the wallet.
- 1 batch Quick and Easy Corn Bread, cut into wedges
- 1 pound ground beef
- .5 cups onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 7 teaspoons Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 2 cups black beans
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes with chiles
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1.5 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Mix and bake cornbread as directed, below.
- While cornbread is baking, saute ground beef and onions in a large skillet until meat is no longer pink and onions are soft.
- Add garlic and cook 1-2 more minutes.
- Stir in taco seasoning, black beans, corn, tomatoes, and tomato sauce.
- Mix well to combine and heat through.
- Spoon mixture over wedges of cornbread. Sprinkle with pepper jack cheese and chopped cilantro.
Fast, Simple Cornbread
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk or 1 1/4 cup cultured buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place a 12 inch sloped sided cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add the butter and melt it without burning.
- Meanwhile, measure milk into a graduated liquid measuring cup and stir in an egg.
- Turn off the heat. Pour the butter into the milk (it will clump a little and that’s ok).
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the still-hot pan and immediately transfer to the preheated oven.
- Bake until the edges and top are browned. Remove from the oven, cut into wedges, and serve warm with honey or butter.