All of a sudden it feels like, Fall is here! I am bundled up and craving soup and caramel apples. Guess I need to pack on my winter “layer”. Mexican food has been on the top of my list lately and this soup fits the bill. It is simple and filling.
There is a belief that you can’t cook tomatoes in cast iron. While I wouldn’t recommend it for the maiden voyage of your dutch oven, cooking tomato based recipes will not harm your cast iron, nor have a less than stellar flavor.
Salsa soup is pretty much a dump and serve kind of soup and very forgiving. If you don’t have the exact ingredients, feel free to substitute with what you have. I added some sliced zucchini to mine and only added one can of beans. I also chose to add less stock to make a thicker soup, but you could easily make this thinner with more broth if you like that!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts ( about 2 to 3 c. cooked, diced chicken)
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 1 T dried chopped onion
- 2 t. garlic powder
- 1 T ground cumin
- 2 14-oz. cans of chicken broth
- 1 24-oz. jar mild or medium chunky salsa (hotter if desired)
- 1 7-oz. can diced mild green chilies (or jalapenos if you desire more heat)
- 1 15-oz. can corn, drained
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 bag baked tortilla chips
- 1 c. cooked rice, optional
- Shredded cheddar cheese or light sour cream for garnish, if desired
- Place cooked chicken, oil, dried onion, garlic powder and cumin in heated dutch oven.
- Heat until the cumin starts to get fragrant (about 2 minutes).
- Add in broth, salsa, chilies, corn, black beans and cilantro.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes. If it is thin, you could cook a bit longer. If it is too thick, add more broth or some water.
**NOTE: You could also dump all the ingredients in the dutch oven and place in the oven at 275 and cook for 2-3 hours like you would in a slow cooker. This is a good option for a make ahead meal!
Top with fresh cilantro, sour cream and crushed tortilla strips or over cooked rice.
Want more great information, recipes, and giveaways from Camp Chef? ‘Like’ us and follow us on our facebook page!