This was interesting. Not your typical KFC coleslaw, but still good. Not great, but decent. If you like crunchy cabbage, then you will probably like this recipe. I like the color even though the red cabbage is more purple, it is still festive. Be careful with your amounts of cabbage. It only calls for 2 cups!
Red and White Slaw
- 1 c. red cabbage, chopped fine
- 1 c. white cabbage, chopped fine
- 2 t. sugar
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. mustard
- 1/8 t. pepper
- 1/4 c. vinegar
- 1/4 c. water
- 1 T. butter
- 1 t. flour
- 1 egg yolk (or whole egg)
- Put the cabbage in separate bowls and set aside.
- Mix the sugar, salt, mustard and pepper in a saucepan and stir in vinegar and water. Bring to a boil.
- Rub the flour and butter together and whisk into the boiling mixture. Cook until thickened. Pour this gradually over a beaten egg in a glass bowl, whisking the whole time.
- Divide the dressing and pour over cabbage while still hot. Place the white cabbage on a platter 1 inch from the edge. Make a border of the red all around the white, reserving a 1/4 c. red cabbage for a “bullseye” on the top.
- Refrigerate or serve right away.
This needed salt BAD, so I added some celery salt. Not enough to redeem, but enough to make edible! AND just so you know, I did my plating totally wrong! Oh, well.