Ok, I have to admit, I have a love/hate relationship with potato salad. There are a few reasons (I will spare you the reversal of fortune incident), but the main one being the loaded calories. My mother in law makes one however that I just adore! She puts a lot of hard boiled egg and bacon. Truly scrumptious! Looking through the cookbook, I found one for potato salad without mayo, so I decided to try it! 2 words: AWE-SOME!
I tweaked it a little bit. I just HAD to add bacon, which my husband cooked perfectly, outside onthe griddle (thank you honey) and more hard boiled egg. It does start out soupier than traditional, but if you make it the night before, the potatoes should soak up the extra! If you have some extra time and want something a little more weather proof, you have GOT to make this. Now. I’m serious. Start scrubbing.
Mayo-less Potato Salad
- 3 lbs potatoes (I used yukon golds)
- 4-8 hard boiled eggs
- 2 t. mustard
- 2 c. cream or milk (I used one of each)
- 1/4 c. vinegar
- 1 grated onion (juice and all, grate into the bowl)
- 4 t. Dill pickle relish
- 4 T. butter
- 2 t. salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 lb. bacon, cooked crisp and cut into pieces
- Boil the potatoes whole. (this should take around 30-45 minutes)
- Let sit in cool water until cool enough to handle and cut into small cubes.
- Add eggs, chopped (reserving 4 cooked yolks) and grated onion and relish.
- Whisk yolks and add mustard salt and pepper, until smooth.
- While whisking add vinegar.
- Bring milk and/or cream to a boiling point and while whiksing add the milk, slowly.
- Add the butter and pour over potoato mixture.
- Cool for at least 1 hour in the fridge and serve! Add bacon right before serving.
I served this at a family reunion and unless everyone was just being nice, it got rave reviews!