Truthfully, I was just looking to try something new that didn’t take too long. Also, I had some oranges to use up. Pretty easy. Start to finish = 1 hour. Would’ve been faster if I didn’t use fresh squeezed juice, but where is the fun in that?
Orange Coffee Cake
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t. salt
- 3 t. baking powder
- 1/2 c. corn syrup**
- 1 t. grated orange rind
- 1/2 c. orange juice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1/4 c. melted shortening (I used butter)
- 2 T. grated orange rind
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1 T. melted butter
- Mix corn syrup, orange juice and melted butter and combine with dry ingredients (After I put the dry ingredients in a bowl, I turn a few times with a whisk).
- Mix – not beat – in the beaten eggs, vanilla and orange rind.
- Pour into greased 8×8 cake pan.
- Blend topping ingredients and sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.
Smelled divine! Gave to a friend to taste test! I will let you know what she said!
**There is a quick substitute for corn syrup (1/2 c. sugar and 1/4 c. water)! Pretty cool if you are in a pinch!