Let’s face it. Most of us wait until the last minute when it comes to holidays. You may be shaking your head, but I have seen the hoards around the cards at Wal Mart the Saturday before Mother’s Day! Well, if I just described you I am going to give you a “Hail Mary” this Mother’s Day. Seriously this breakfast is so good, that your mom (or wife) may not even recognize the waffle from the freezer section.
You probably already have these ingredients: frozen waffles, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans (optional). If not, run out right now! I won’t tell.
Oh, and you need a cast iron pan. Trust me on this one. You do not want to use your wife of significant other’s frying pans. You probably don’t know if it is oven safe or not, so use cast iron. As a bonus, if you don’t have one, this could be breakfast plus a present!!
- 2 frozen waffles (or use some homemade)
- 2 T. butter
- 2 T. brown sugar
- 1 t. cinnamon
- A sprinkle of salt
- 2 T. of chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 400.
- Melt butter in a cast iron in the oven. (This should take about 1-3 minutes)
- When the butter is melted, stir in brown sugar, cinnamon,and salt.
- Place waffles on top of sugar mixture and cook in oven for 5 minutes.
- Then, flip waffles and “wipe” the bottom in the sugar mixture.
- Sprinkle the tops of the waffles with the pecans and return to the oven.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes more. Serve warm.
Syrup is completely optional. These are great without it!
For those of you that need pictures for just a bit more help, here you go!
Here is what the butter and sugar mixture should look like before adding the waffles:
And here are the waffles, post flip. Notice that there is some sugar on the top. If there is not enough, feel free to spoon some on them before adding the pecans.