With St. Patrick's Day fast approaching, we've been thinking of recipes we haven't tried before. After a quick web search and brain storming session we found this yummy goodness that takes only minutes to make. We did modify it a bit. Instead of putting it all in a single pan, we used our cast iron muffin topper pan to make individual servings. The end result was no left-overs and clean-up in the kitchen was a cinch! We hope you enjoy our take on an Irish recipe.
Ingredients for Irish Apple Cake
- 6-8 Granny Smith apples
- 1 lemon
- 2/3 C. sugar
- 4 Tbsp Butter
Ingredients for Batter:
- 1/2 C. slivered almonds
- 1/2 C. butter, softened
- 1 C. sugar
- 3 lg. eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 C. sour cream
- 1/4 C. apple cider
- 1 1/2 C. flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- Pinch of salt
Directions for Irish Apple Cake & Batter:
1. Peel & core apples, cut each into 12-16 wedges. Sprinkle with lemon juice and toss.
2. Melt butter in a skillet, add apples and sugar. Toss apples and cook until tender.
3. Remove from stove and drain juices, set aside to cool.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
3. Cream the butter and sugar, then add the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla, sour cream, and cider.
4. Add the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
5. Place 3-4 apple wedges in each muffin topper or if using the pie pans place about 1/3 of the apples in each pie pan, over the sliced almonds.
6. Roughly chop the remaining apple slices and stir into the batter.
7. Pour batter over the apples in each of the muffin toppers just below the top. If using the pie pans pour half of the batter into each pie pan.
8. Cook the muffin toppers for 25-30 mins and the pie pan for 50-60 mins or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
9. Let cool for 10 minutes and then invert onto a cutting board or cookie sheet. If using the pie pan you can slice it and then invert each slice on the serving plate. Serve with fresh whipping cream or toffee sauce (see recipe below).
Ingredients for Toffee Sauce:
- 1/4 C. sliced Almonds
- 1/2 C. butter
- 1/2 C. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1/2 C. heavy cream
Directions for Toffee Sauce:
- Crush almonds slightly and set aside.
- Melt butter in sauce pan. Slowly stir in sugar, add water.
- When sugar is completely dissolved, add the almond pieces and insert a candy thermometer.
- Cook until golden color and temperature is 310 degrees or hard tack stage.
- Immediately remove from heat and stir in cream. It may boil up so it’s best to do this over a sink.
- Top Irish apple cake with sauce.