Living in the South for a few years, I have heard of this. Had no idea what it was! Looking at the recipe, I saw “salt pork” as an ingredient and I thought that it would be fun to try something with it. This may be another one no one will try, but maybe if I tell them (my kids) it’s called “hoppin’ john”, they may be more inclined to try.
- 1 c. lentils
- 1/2 c. rice
- 1 qt. water
- 1 t. salt
- 1/8 lb salt pork, diced (could substitute bacon)
- 2 T. butter
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1/4 t. celery salt
- Rinse the lentils. Add to rice and water, salt, salt pork, and cook on low heat for 45 minutes.
- While cooking, chop onion fine and cook until tender in butter.
- Add to cooked lentils and rice and stir in celery salt.
I really liked this! The rice was a bit mushy, but the flavor was awesome! I am thinking of ttrying to turn this into a soup. The Salt Pork kind of freaked me out because of how fatty it looked, but the flavor was awesome! I think the celery salt added a certain nuttiness and savory flavor. Everyone who looked at it, frowned at it, but when they tasted it, they changed their mind! Try it…if you are brave enough!!