I recently placed an online order to a semi-local nut store called Nutty Guys and decided to try Hazelnuts. I see Giada cooking with them, but in my local grocery store, they are SO expensive, so I broke down and ordered some! They have been sitting in my cupboard for about a week and have been calling out to me, so I cracked open my recipe books to see what I could find:
The egg yolk topping looked like I had melted Kraft Singles on them. Kind of gross:
After baking the look didn’t really improve: (Maybe someone can think of a Halloween idea??)
But, I did taste them and they were good. Reminiscent of a pecan sandy. If you have some hazelnuts to spare, try it, but I wouldn’t write home about these…unless you dipped them in dark chocolate!
Here is my version of the recipe:
- 1 egg white
- 7/8 c. powdered sugar
- 7/8 c. hazelnuts, ground fine
- 1 egg yolk
- 6 T. powdered sugar
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- Beat egg white until fluffy, and add sugar and hazelnuts.
- Pat out on parchment paper to 1/4 ” thickness.
- Spread with egg yolks beaten with sugar and vanilla.
- Let stand until dry enough (I did 30 minutes) to cut into strips.
- Cut into strips or small shapes. Arrange on a greased and floured cookie sheet. (These will spread, so keep apart)
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Bake at 300 for 12-15 minutes or until edges are dry.