I came into a pound of green beans recently and wondered how my grandmother would have cooked them. These days, if you cook a vegetable more than a few minutes, you are considered unhealthy because you are cooking the vitamins right out of it! However, sometimes they really do taste better when cooked a little longer. So the question begs to be asked: Would you rather eat something not so good for more vitamins, or something that tastes good with slightly less vitamins? I let you soul search for the answer to that one!
Here is what I found:
I followed this from start to finish, finish being the cheesy green beans! They were still not disguised enough for the little mouths at my table, but my husband ate them and that is saying a LOT! Just an fyi, they need more salt than you think!
Cheesy Green Beens
- 2 cups cooked green beans, seasoned well
- 1/2 c. grated cheese, plus more for the top
- 1 T. melted butter
- 1/4 c. heavy cream
- Mix all ingredients together and put in a small oven proof dish.
- Sprinkle with desired amount of cheese.
- Bake at 400 for 10-13 minutes or until bubbly.