I needed a quick recipe and this one worked great. You don’t need to marinade for a long time, but you can if you have a few minutes to spare. I used my cast iron grill pan to get a nice outside barbecue taste (and look) without having to go out into our single digit backyard! My kids liked the chicken. The tomato topping, not so much, but trying new things is a life skill, right? Oh, and being polite at trying new things (gagging at the dinner table clearly is not). Don’t be put off though! This is tasty, quick and good.
- 4 pieces flat bread or pitas
- 2 1/2 t. red wine vinegar
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 t. dried oregano
- 1 1/2 t. dried thyme
- 1/4 t. pepper
- 1/4 c. olive oil (I used extra virgin)
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thin
- 3 oz. crumbled Feta (I used chevre (goat cheese))
- 1/4 c. kalamata olives (I like mine sliced in half lengthwise)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut unto 4-inch pieces
- 1/2 c. plain greek style yogurt
- 1 small cucumber, finely diced
- 1 1/2 t. dill weed
- Warm foil wrapped bread in a 250 degree oven.
- While bread is heating, in a large bowl combine: vinegar, juice, oregano, thyme and pepper.
- While whisking, add olive oil slowly until combined.
- In a smaller bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, feta and olives.
- Pour 2 1/2 T. of the vinaigrette over the vegetables and toss. Set aside.
- Add the chicken to the remaining vinaigrette and let sit 10 minutes (or up to an hour).
- While chicken is resting, heat a grill pan on high. Grill chicken, turning halfway through, until cooked through (about 5-7 minutes total).
- Meanwhile, combine last 3 ingredients in a small serving bowl.
To serve, spoon some sauce on each pita and top with chicken and the tomato salad.