A few weeks ago, I bought a big box of graham crackers in hopes of making s’mores. That fantasy died and so I was stuck with a big box. Fortunately (or unfortunately), they are almost gone. They are like potato chips for me…I dare you to eat just one! I am like a kindergartner at snack time!!
But it got me to thinking about days past. Were graham crackers the same?? Did you have to make your own?? I haven’t researched this and I am sure somewhere on the www, I could find out, but for now, I will just dream…OH and try a recipe I found:
This sounded really good, so I gave it a try! It was so easy to make and made a TON! I didn’t put a lot of butter on the crackers, so it went farther. I also added some chocolate chips because what it dessert without chocolate???
- 1 1/2 packets of graham crackers
- 1/4 c. creamed butter (I used spreadable butter, but any butter should do)
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 c. ground nuts, optional
- 1/2 c. mini chocolate chips, optional
- Mix butter, sugar and cinnamon well.
- Spread onto crackers and line onto a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 5 minutes (I actually forgot about these and so they were in the oven a but longer. I baked mine until golden brown…maybe 15 minutes?)
Here they are before…
And after…when I forgot…
I don’t think I mentioned it, but these tasted pretty yummy. Almost akin English toffee crazy enough. If you do like toffee, put just a hint of cinnamon and a splash of vanilla!! The taste of toffee without all the guilt!