This statement may cause heart failure in my father, but I love seeing things in my garden grow! When I see red tomatoes start to come on, I can’t help but get butterflies in my stomach. However, being from the South, green tomatoes cause a little flutter of excitement too!
Fried Green Tomatoes are more than just a good movie. They taste great. Something about a slightly acidic, salty, crunchy orb of golden brown beauty, brings a happiness only mid summer can bring!
Cast iron is the perfect thing to fry in. It holds its temperature which is nice when you are frying. I cooked mine outside on about medium to medium-low and they fried up beautifully.
Grab some green tomatoes, and a friend or two and enjoy some good eats!
- 4 large green tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 c. flour
- 1/2 c. cornmeal
- 1/2 c. bread crumbs (I used Panko)
- 2 t. kosher salt
- 1/4 t. pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Slice tomatoes 1/2 inch thick. Discard ends.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a medium sized bowl.
- Scoop flour onto a plate.
- In another bowl or pie tin, mix cornmeal, bread crumbs, salt and pepper.
- Dip tomatoes in flour, egg, then cornmeal mixture. Lay on a cooling rack until ready to fry.
- In a large skillet, pour vegetable oil until it is 1/2 inch deep and heat on medium until the handle on a wooden spoon bubbles.
- Place 4-5 tomatoes in the oil and fry until golden brown, then flip and cook that side until golden brown.
Drain on paper towels and serve hot!
Want more great information, recipes, and giveaways from Camp Chef? ‘Like’ us and follow us on our facebook page!