So, I was spring cleaning out my freezer (funny because it was snowing), and found some cranberries left over from Thanksgiving time. I know that they are usually a fall fruit, but I decided to make sometime with them! I found a recipe for Cranberry Sherbet, which sounded so good (despite the snow) and wanted to make it, but looking at the recipe, I had to have cranberry jelly, to which there was a recipe for!
This was a fun recipe to make. Fairly simple and without the use of pectin, it jelled! (I also had the perk of leftover skins and seeds…I am going to try and dye Easter eggs with them.. I will keep your posted).
The taste of the jelly was really good! Maybe I’ll save some to go on hot buttered rolls…
Here is the recipe:
- 4 cups cranberries
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups sugar
- Few grains of salt (I “pinched”)
- Pick over and wash cranberries.
- Add water and boil 20 minutes.
- Rub through a sieve or food mill (i wish I had one. It would have saved some time!).
- Cook 3 minutes, add sugar.
- Pour into a clean jar and chill.
Spiced Variation: Cook with a stick of cinnamon, 24 whole cloves and 6 allspice berries.
After pushing through a sieve:
I am trying sherbet tonight. Come back soon!