What is a good meal without some delicious warm and buttery carb to go with it Just sayin’. When you don’t have time for a yeast bread, corn bread will do the trick! And when you bake cornbread in cast iron you get the benefit of beautiful presentation with a rustic feel. Just make sure you have plenty of butter and honey to serve with it.
This recipe uses buttermilk, but you could make a substitute by adding 1 T. vinegar to 1 c. regular milk and let sit for 5 minutes. Works perfect in every baked recipe I have tried. It also has a lot of butter. If you can spare the calories, it’s worth it! One more bonus, you can make it from start to finish in a cast iron pan. No dishes!!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (I used 1/2 c. whole wheat)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt butter in large skillet.
- Remove from heat and stir in sugar.
- Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended.
- Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan.
- Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Do not over bake (it will get very dry).
Want more great information, recipes, and giveaways from Camp Chef? ‘Like’ us and follow us on our facebook page!