This one started out a few month ago. Remember my irritation that I couldn’t findcitron to make a fruit cake with for the Royal Wedding?? Well, I found some around Thanksgiving! I bought it and have been looking around for a good recipe to use it in. Sadly this might not be it.
Also, I am sorry about the picture. I know. It is just wrong.
The recipe is very much like the cinnamon kites from last year. It was simple, but not very chocolaty. I even grated a quarter of a pound of chocolate with my cheese grater and that took awhile!
I did learn a handy skill though! I learned how to blanch almonds. It was actually kind of fun. Just take raw almonds and cover them in hot boiled water for 5 minutes. Then rinse and place in cold water. The skins should slip right off! I had to cover mine with hot water twice, but they did slip off!
- 4 eggs
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 1 c. almonds, blanched and chopped
- 1/4 lb chocolate
- 2 oz. citron, chopped
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 1/4 t. allspice and cloves
- 3 c. flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- Beat eggs and sugar until light, add the spices and chocolate, grated.
- In another bowl, mix almonds, citron, flour and baking powder.
- Combine the 2 mixtures. Roll on a floured board, cut into strips 3 1/2 inches long, bake in a buttered pan (I used a parchment lined pan) at 350 for 10-15 minutes.
Due to the picture, I may add this to our wretched recipes for next year!
Here’s what they look like on the pan before you cook them…..still wrong.