I had some Brussel sprouts in my fridge, so when I made the Mexican chicken, I decided to find a recipe for Brussels sprouts. To me, it honestly sounded pretty nasty, but after making it, I think I would like it!
For starters, here is how they say to prepare Brussels sprouts. I think it helped a lot with the flavor, although it takes some time.
1. Removed wilted leaves from sprouts and cut off stems.
2. Soak for 15 minutes in cold (I even used ice) water.
3. Drain and cook uncovered in boiling unsalted water for 20 minutes.
4. Add salt and cook 5-10 more minutes.
5. Serve with melted butter. I don’t know why, but butter was meant to be on these guys!
Here is the recipe:
Brussels Sprouts and Celery
1 quart cooked Brussels sprouts
1 1/2 cups celery (about 2 large stalks)
3 T. butter
3 T flour
1 1/2 c. warmed milk
3/4 t. salt
1/2 c. bread crumbs
1 1/2 T. butter, melted
- Melt butter and cook celery until soft. Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes more. Slowly stir in milk and cook until thick and bubbly. Pour into a greased casserole dish.
- Mix breadcrumbs and butter together a top sprouts. Cook at 400 until breadcrumbs are browned. Serve!
Here is what my friend had to say about these (I am very proud!!)
“ALL of my kids really liked it- and Don said he called you just to tell you thanks and that he even enjoyed the brussels sprouts.”(He was a self professed Brussels sprouts hater!!)
I have to admit. My mouth was watering too!