We love cooking in cast iron for a lot of reasons. But flat out, it cooks better and is easy to cook in. Here are a a couple tips of how to simplify the process even more. We cooked up a delicious meal of Baked Tomato-Cilantro Chicken. To cut some of the work out, we let our Camp Chef stove do the cooking. make it super easy we, used a disposable Dutch Oven Liner.
Baked Tomato-Cilantro Chicken
Bake at 400 F for 20 to 25 minutes
Makes 4 servings
Recipe can be halved or doubled
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground hot red pepper
- 4 boneless, skinned chicken breast halves (about 1 pound), slightly flattened
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet green pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro OR: 2 teaspoons dried cilantro and 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/4 pounds ripe tomatoes sliced (about 4 medium-sized)
- 4 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese (1 cup)
- Parsley sprigs OR: cilantro sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- Lime slices, for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to hot (400).
2. Combine lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt and the ground pepper in medium-size bowl. Add chicken; turn to coat. Let stand 10 minutes
3. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken; sauté until lightly browned on both sides. Remove the paper toweling to drain. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in skillet.Add onion, green pepper and garlic; sauté until tender but not browned, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro.
4. Place about two-thirds of tomato slices in bottom of 9 inch square baking dish, or divide among 4 individual 2-cup baking dishes. Sprinkle with two thirds of the onion mixture and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle with about two-thirds cheese. Arrange chicken in layer over cheese. Top with remaining tomato and onion mixture.
5. Bake in preheated hot oven (400) for 15 to 20 minutes, or 10 to 15 minutes for individual dishes, or until chicken is tender. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Garnish with parsley or cilantro and lime slices, if you wish.