I am diverging just a bit from our usually “Retro” business to give you a highly requested recipe for my healthier and much tastier version of Hot Pockets. These are great for the freezer and bake up quite well. Another reason that I posted this, is because I found a great way to thaw them…ready?…cast iron.
Yup. I said cast iron!!
A few years ago (or maybe more), the “as seen on tv” commercials were rife with this black slab that supposedly sped up thawing. Well, It worked. But sadly for the marketers of this brilliant product, ANYTHING black works. It is a bit of a science project, but light is attracted to black, which makes the surface slightly warmer and hence can speed up the thawing process. Try it next time you pop out your new hot pockets or are thawing out your Rhodes rolls!!
- 12 rhodes rolls, thawed
- 3-4 c. shredded mozzarella
- 1 bag pepperoni (mini’s are great, or just cut the regular into 1/4′s)
- Fold-top baggies
- Roll out the roll on a greased surface to about the size of your hand.
- Place about 1/3 c. of cheese onto the bottom half of the circle.
- Add a few pepperoni and a tiny bit more cheese.
- Fold over the top and seal all around. (watch the video for step by step). A fork might be good to ensure a good seal. We don’t want to lose any cheese!
- Slip each hot pocket into a fold top plastic baggie, then put into a large freezer bag and when it is full, put if your freezer.
When ready to eat (or an hour before):
Unwrap hot pocket/calzone and stick onto a greased black surface, (aka your cast iron pan) OR you can use your cookie sheet you will bake on it will just take longer. Thaw until the dough is soft again.
Heat oven to 400 and bake for 10-15 minutes. You want these to be golden brown on the top. Eat warm with some warmed marinara sauce.
Here are a few pictures to help you!