Have you been looking for a creative Halloween Breakfast? Well look no further because these Aebelskiver Eyeballs are just as fun to eat as they are to make!
Camp Chef makes a Cast Iron Aebleskiver Pan that cooks these little balls inside and out
perfectly. The heaviness of the pan helps with the even cooking for each Aebleskiver and the seasoned finish helps the batter not stick to the pan.
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
1. In a clean glass or metal bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they can hold a stiff peak.
2. Set aside.
3. Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, sugar, egg yolks, melted butter and buttermilk at one time and beat until smooth. Gently fold in the egg whites last.
4. To color batter, Scoop about ½ cup of batter into separate plastic bags and add food coloring until you get the color you want. I used 3 separate bags for orange, green, and black. Then cut one of the bottom corners of the bag so you can control the batter coming out of the bag.
5. Spray Aebleskiver pan with non-stick spray until cooking surface is completely covered and place on stove top to get hot.
6. Next, start with your black food coloring and make a dot in the middle of each cup (this is your pupil). Then take the colored batter and wrap it around the black to make the colored part of the eye.
6. Pour in about 2 tablespoons of the batter into each cup over the top of the colored batter.
7. Cook until crust on bottom of ball is again firm enough to pierce, then rotate ball with skewer until the ridge formed as the pancake first cooked is on top. Cook, turning occasionally with skewer, until balls are evenly browned and no longer moist in the center.
Plate and enjoy with your favorite topping. Raspberry jam would definitely add to this scary treat!
Want more great information, recipes, and giveaways from Camp Chef? ‘Like’ us and follow us on our facebook page!